The key to a fulfilling life is not to become a slave to your work schedule, but to schedule time for the good things in life.
When was the last time you just sat in a coffee shop and read a book? When was the last time you enjoyed a really nice evening with your spouse or partner, without TV and without children? And when was the last time you did something that you truly enjoy; something that you had planned a while ago?
Long time ago? And what are your reasons? Maybe because you don’t have time? That is correct. And what do you do on your days off? Why don’t you take care of yourself on these days and do something that you truly enjoy? Sure, it is easy to forget, and other people and obligations take over your day.
However, the key to a fulfilling life is to make time for the things that matter to you.
Here is an exercise:
Make a list of the activities that you enjoy. Put them on individual cards and attach them to your calendar.
- Today we are going to eat at my favorite restaurant.
- Today I am going to take care of something that I have been procrastinating for a while, and afterward I will reward myself with something nice.
- Today we are making a nice picnic.
- Today I am going to meet with my best friend.
- Today I am scheduling a massage.
- Today I am going to call . . .
- Today I am taking a long walk in nature.
Important: Put these activities in your calendar now and not when you can foresee whether you have time on that particular day. Otherwise you give external circumstances the priorities instead of your personal needs.
Try it out, and you’ll see that you will feel more energized and productive afterward.